This was directed at the development of new breed of professionals whose role would be to function in all areas of professional challenges. There is no better time and opportunity than this, therefore, to formally institutionalize the concept for the purpose of equipping practitioners for effective and purposeful practice. In 2008, the Institute organizes series of social work skill development workshops, seminars, conferences, etc for both members and non-members alike within Nigeria and Overseas. The Institute is making positive impact on the socio-economic development of Nigeria through the training, re-training and injection of qualified/certified social workers into the system, men and women desirous of making a career in social work practice.
PROFESSIONAL CAPABILITIES FRAMEWORK (PCF)
The objectives of the Institute as approved by government of Federal Republic of Nigeria are as followings:
- The Professional Capabilities Framework was developed by the Social Work Reform Board UK.
- The PCF provides details of professional standards required at all levels of the profession. This extends the regulatory standards for public protection to standards of excellence.
- It serves as a backdrop to both initial social work education, and continuing professional development after qualification.
- The PCF has been developed by social workers, and is owned by TCSW on behalf of the profession and ISOWN subscribed fully to it as an accredited partner.
- The PCF links to the e-portfolio so that social workers can plan, design, record and evidence their CPD for re-registration.
- The PCF provides information on the professional standards required of social workers at all career levels.
ECONOMIC IMPACT OF SOCIAL WORK INSTITUTIONALIZATION AND PROFESSIONALIZATION
The essence of the institutionalization and professionalization of social work practice with multi-disciplinary perspective is founded on its importance and relevance to the efficient and effective social work practice. It would therefore impact positively on the socio-economic life of Nigeria in the following ways:
- Enhanced productivity.
- Growth and development stimulation.
- Achievement of social work ethics through positive social work mindset.
- Optimization of Resources.
- Improved and Realistic Operational Statistics.
- Global Best Practices.
- Confidence and Credibility.
- Good and Transparent Governance.
- Improved Productivity, Performance and Service Delivery.
- Professional Development.
- Job Opportunity.
- Support Social Work Value Quest.
- Championing Social Policy Formulation, Development and Management (the difference between developed world and the underdeveloped world is Social Work).